Sunday, December 30, 2007

Prophecy - Knowledge of the Future


In my English class, we are studying the famous play "Macbeth" written by William Shakespeare. We watched the whole play

and the "Three Witches" caught our attention many times. They made future predictions about Macbeth and Banquo. Then we talked about a person who makes predictions about the world in present. Her name is Ms. Sylvia Browne and she predicts about almost everything from human life to weather report. Yes, it is quite strange when you meet someone like her.

I personally do not support Prophecy due to many reasons. One of them is my faith in God. That allows me to think that whatever happens in this world, happens for a good cause, so there is no need for me to know the future. For me, every single person in this world has a unique power; Prophecy could be one of them a person could have. I am a Hindu and in my culture, it is not insane to claim to have such powers to predict future. It is not scary at all, because I have been going threw this from the day I was born. A Pandit (more like a holy person) made my “Birth-horoscope” and did my name ceremony according to my horoscope. When my best friend in India was born, a Pandit told his mom that water could trouble his life. Even though his mom is a well-educated person, she performed all the holy acts that would save my best friend from the danger of water. Nothing wrong has happened to my friend yet. He is a healthy guy and can swim really well. It’s the matter of belief. If you believe, you believe 100% and if you do not believe, you do not believe at all.

Even though I do not support Prophecy, I sometimes look in the daily horoscope that comes in the newspaper and most of the time it is true what they say about me. I do not check a particular horoscope every day but I have started believing in them. What I have been noticing is that, if what is written in the horoscope turns out to be true for a person for long enough, that person would start believing in it. My mom somewhat believes in prophecy. When I was a kid, I used to be short-tempered, so my mom got my horoscope checked and depending on the predictions, I was given a locket with a small white marble in between. That white marble is a marble of Moon. Moon because it is a cool place and it would keep my temper down.

If we look at Sylvia Browne’s life, she started seeing visions when she was three years old. After that, her grand mother Ada Coil and her uncle who claimed to be a psychic medium, supported her to understand what she was going threw. If what I said in the paragraph below is true for an average person, it happened to Sylvia when she was a 3 years old kid. I am not supporting the fact that she can predict the future, but there is something that we average living people do not know. Sylvia Browne charges $750 for a one-hour conversation with her on phone, which is expensive. Again, it depends on the person. People, who believe in Prophecy and trusts people like her, would pay anything to know how their future is going to be. I would never let a person earn money in this way from people, not because I do not support it, because she is asking for excessively much. Prophecy could be helpful in police investigations and other important things but that does not mean anyone should be the way Sylvia is. By charging $750 to those who are eager to know their future, she is just being a jerk.

As I said before, in my culture, horoscopes are widely used in order to live happy life. For example, when a girl and a guy are getting married, their horoscopes are matched to see if their future life will be safe and happy. When people buy a house, they consider buying one according to their horoscope. Prophecy is connected my life and I have to deal with it. As I said before, I do not believe in it for many reasons, but It’s part of my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Time to do some catching up on your blog posts. Make sure all assignments are completed!

:) Good start so far.